Re: [Axiom-developer] Lisp

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Lisp
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:59:26 -0800

Waldek Hebisch wrote:
Bill Page wrote:
On 3/5/08, Waldek Hebisch wrote:

I agree to the general statement: there are many problems
that Axiom can not do -- most beginers will probably give up
concluding "Axiom is too hard to use" and not realize that
what they want to do in not doable using Axiom.

I think you need to define more carefully what you mean by "axiom just
can't do many things mathematicians want to do" and "not doable using
Axiom".

I would say that from beginers point of view doable means using 2-3
commands.  "Interpreter" functions are a middle ground.  Going to
Spad is more like "writing program to solve the problem" than "using
Axiom".

Exactly! I do a lot with queuing theory, Petri nets, and (timed) process algebras. While there are a number of special purpose packages for this domain, only one of them is open source, and that one is primarily numeric. I don't want to have to teach a CAS to do Laplace transforms, handle block matrices with a countably infinite number of rows and columns, etc. I don't know how theoretical mathematicians feel about this, but I for one don't have any use for a CAS that can't do these things.

Where *I* want to spend my programming time is getting these "abstract" solutions into some form that can be used by people other than fellow mathematicians.