Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: AMS Notices: Open Source Mathematical Software

From: Michel Lavaud
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: AMS Notices: Open Source Mathematical Software
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:16:17 +0100

Maybe it would be clearer to say "so they extend their tolerance" ? Sorry for my poor English :-(

  # [...] so they translate their tolerance to errors in experimental
  # results toward tolerance to possible errors in commercial software
Ah, OK. You meant gratuitous interpretation, I suppose ? An experimentalist has to be tolerant to errors because errors are inherent to experiments. In particular, for him, a possible error in a program is just one among _hundreds_ of other possible causes of errors. For a mathematician, a possible error in a program used in an article is one among _zero_ other possible errors (if his proof is correct, of course, as also the proofs of theorems his article relies on).