[Axiom-developer] Re: [open-axiom-devel] [fricas-devel] Re: Axiom Wiki a

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [open-axiom-devel] [fricas-devel] Re: Axiom Wiki and Portal are moving
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:30:52 -0400

On 11/1/07, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Bill Page wrote:
>
> | > I like IssueTracker a lot, mainly, because it is so easy to demonstrate
> the
> | > bug.  Since we have several projects now, it would be necessary though to
> be
> | > able to select any subset of
> | >
> | > fixed in Axiom
> | > fixed in FriCAS
> | > fixed in OpenAxiom
> | >

> | That is a good suggestion. I think we can easily implement that.
>
> Given my past experience with Axiom, I strongly feel that
> OpenAxiom should not be prevented from maintaining its tracker.

I absolutely agree with you! I think the issue tracking system at
SourceForge is very good even though it does not allow one to easily
illustrate a problem. It is standard and well known to open source
developers.

If you would prefer that users of OpenAxiom only submit reports to the
tracker at SourceForge, we can easily insert a warning message in the
issuetracker on the Axiom wiki providing a link and informing users
that they should instead submit a report at SourceForge.

> That by no means implies 'non-cooperation' -- but I cannot prevent
> determined people to construe it that way.

I understand that. I do not see your position as 'non-cooperation' -
quite the opposite. I think you need to be free to develop the project
using the best tools available. There are a lot of different options.

> We can definitely work out two-way communication channels
> between the tracker if that is possible.

I think some things are possible but as usual not so easy. For example
it is possible to configure ZWiki to accept mail sent to a specific
address on the server. The mail could for example originate from a
subscription to the tracker system at SourceForge. The mail could be
filtered and added to a specific web page on the Axiom wiki. Perhaps a
similar link could be implemented in the other direction since I think
it is possible to submit issues to SourceForge via email, right?