HyperDoc replacement, was: Re: [Axiom-developer] CATS - Computer Algebra

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: HyperDoc replacement, was: Re: [Axiom-developer] CATS - Computer Algebra Test Suite
Date: 15 Oct 2007 17:51:35 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

> I found only 1 mention of tex4ht on MathAction.  It appears in the summer of
> code section.  Do you have a reference?

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/TeX4ht/mn.html

I have written the beginnings of a replacement for hyperdoc a while ago. I even
advertised it here, but nobody showed any interest, so I didn't pursue it
further.

You can find it on

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxHyperDocReplacement

Before you can use it, you have to install tex4ht, which is standard with, for
example,

apt-get install tex4ht

As far as I remember, it also depends on a few fixes at the time only found in
wh-sandbox, but I imagine they have found their way to axiom already.

I'd love to see it resurrected.  It provides dynamic lookup, dynamic generation
of html -- or mathml, jsmath, etc., that's trivial to configure.

It assumes that people do not have super fast machines, so the results of the
translation to html are cached.  This could certainly be done better.  I
thought one would generate the necessary html database during build time,
adding a constructor would update the database dynamically.  Since I am not
into databases, I did not waste any time to design a sensible structure, but
that certainly could be done.

Again, the only point of my little program was to show that it should be fairly
easy to replace the hyperdoc rendering by a browser rendering, while keeping
all the other functionality.

Martin