Re: [Axiom-developer] Mailing List Etiquette

From: C Y
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 04:49:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 09/07/2007 01:16 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> > Bill,
> >
> >> For building Axiom on less common architectures I strongly
> >> recommend the FriCAS or OpenAxiom forks of the Axiom project.
> >
> > I strongly object to your suggestion that someone who has requested
> > information, help, or porting assistance on this mailing list
> > should go to another project.
>
> Why? Isn't it "help" if someone points you to some piece of software
> that solves the problem?

I think the point is that Axiom is a different project from
FriCAS/OpenAxiom, so having FriCAS/OpenAxiom working on a platform !=
Axiom working on that platform.

I.e., if Maple didn't happen to work on a platform of interest
suggesting Mathematica doesn't help to get Maple on that platform.

Obviously the userland environments are still very similar at the
moment, but whether this will be true indefinitely remains to be seen.
I'd say as the various projects take SPAD/Aldor and the interpreter
different directions this will get less true, so it avoids confusion to
keep the identities of the various projects distinct.  (Note that this
does not imply hostility toward those projects, just making sure the
distinction is clear to avoid confusion.)

Cheers,
CY

Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
http://sims.yahoo.com/