[Axiom-developer] Re: APL2 is evil [was: Re: [Aldor-l] [open-axiom-devel

From: Bill Page
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 12:11:24 -0400

On 9/5/07, Christian Aistleitner wrote:
> I know these things sound far-fetched.
> I do not assume anybody would be legally entitled to grant ASO
> these rights. And I do not think ASO would do such things.
> But why does ASO force contributers to grant ASO such rights,
> if they do not inted to use them once in a while?

During the recent Aldor Workshop Stephen Watt said that it is his
intention to publish an "interpretation" of APL2 that would clarify
exactly how it is intended to apply to specific situations. For
example: 1) Apparently it is intended that the use of Aldor for
teaching does not constitute "commercial use" even if you are a paid
teacher. Similarly, 2) If you take advantage of access to of the Aldor
source code to understand how certain specific things are done in
Aldor and then use that knowledge to improve some other package (e.g.
Spad) and then attempt to sell a version of Axiom with the enhanced
Spad compiler, then should that use be deemed to violate Aldor's
non-commerical use clause?

If issues and rights such as these were specifically addressed in
published document that is intended to clarify the application of
APL2, would that satisfy some or all of your concerns?