[Axiom-developer] A bug in windows Axiom

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: [Axiom-developer] A bug in windows Axiom
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:27:03 +1000

Hi,

I'm using Axiom with some cryptography students; at this very early stage we are having fun with very simple ciphers (Vigenere, Hill, etc), so we need to transfer from a string to a list of integers.

Here is how to reproduce the bug: on windows Axiom, enter the following tiny function:

str2lst(str)==map(x +-> ord(x)-65,members(str))

Now try to use it:

str2lst("ABCD")

Axiom will crash (apparently it creates an error log, but I don't know where to find this log).  Help or advice would be very welcome!

FWIW, the command map(x +-> ord(x)-65,members(str)) returns [0,1,2,3] as it should.

Thanks,
Alasdair