Re: [Axiom-developer] "has" and "with" (was curious algebra failure)

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] "has" and "with" (was curious algebra failure)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:26:05 -0400

On 8/12/07, William Sit <address@hidden> wrote:
> The question is not so much whether the rules are followed as to *when* a
> type (domain and category, perhaps even package) becomes named. Note
> that the examples given in Davenport are for domains, not categories. Are
> there differences in handling between named domains and named categories?
> unnamed domains and unnamed categories?

Of course in principle both domains and categories are supposed to be
treated equally as 'types' - at least in Aldor this is true.

> (6) -> x:List Integer:=[1,2,3]
>
>    (6)  [1,2,3]
> --- assume that in (6), List Integer is unnamed.
>                                                  Type: List Integer
> There is also the complication that the above is done via the interpreter.

I do not think it is possible to test this in the Axiom interpreter
because it's support of types as first class values is highly
deficient. But I took a try at this using Spad. See Juergen's examples
here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxCategories

I think this demonstrate that Davenport's rules are implemented in Spad.