RE: [Axiom-developer] "has" and "with" (was curious algebra failure)

From: Weiss, Juergen
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] "has" and "with" (was curious algebra failure)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:35:46 +0200

I found the old document about type equivalence in Scratchpad. It's:
A New Algebra System, May, 29 th 1984, James H Davenport. I have only
found a paper version. Maybe someone has an online version.

It states that:
1. Two named types are only equivalent if the names are the same.
2. Anonymous types are equivalent when stucturally equivalent
3. An anonymous type is never equivalent to a named type.

So following 1.

t1 == List Term
t2 == List Term
x : t1
y : t2
y := x

is not supposed to work,

but following 2.

x : List Term
y : List Term
y := x

is ok,

and following 3.

t == List Term
x : List Term
y : t
y := x

is not supposed to work as well

All examples are taken from the paper.

I am not sure how much of this design is preserved in the current
system. But without having had an intense look at the examples,
I got the impression, that they follow the rules above.

Regards

Juergen Weiss

Juergen Weiss     | Universitaet Mainz, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,
address@hidden| 55099 Mainz, Tel: +49(6131)39-26361, FAX:
+49(6131)39-26407