[Axiom-developer] bootstrap Meta/Boot

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] bootstrap Meta/Boot
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:13:54 -0500

> BTW, why do you think it is so essential that the underlying language of
> Axiom must be LISP?

I don't. In fact, we've had discussions about using Aldor all the way
down.  I don't have the time to rewrite everything in Aldor.  But it
already is in Lisp. Boot is just syntactic sugar for Lisp which limits
what you can write and obscures the syntax.

Writing Boot to generate Lisp is like writing Fortran to generate Aldor.
If you are a Fortran programmer you won't see why that's a problem.
If you are an Aldor programmer you can't imagine why that isn't a problem.

But you can't make Fortran programmers into Aldor programmers.
They have to want to learn.

> If I now start a branch and convert Axiom to Haskell,
> or Assembler would you object?

Nope. It's your time. If you want to rewrite 23 years worth of work
into another language, go for it.

> Would you be interested?

Nope.

The "human readable" language is English.
That's the whole point of literate programming.

I'm focused on getting the interpreter, compiler, and other internal
machinery into a clean, uniform, literate form in one already existing
language. My focus is on organizing and explaining what is already there.

Tim