[Axiom-developer] newrule from metalex.lisp

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] newrule from metalex.lisp
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:04:06 -0500

Gaby,

> The routine NEWRULE from metalex.lisp contains the following:
>
> (test Rule1)
>
> That line should read
>
> (test "RULE1")

I don't know where metalex is used anymore.
The meta language was removed years ago and rewritten into lisp.
The zips/meta.tar file is the last remaining evidence.

I'm not sure I can make a reasonable comment on a change like this.
I have no idea what you're thinking about.
I have no idea what bug this causes.
I see no broken-before, fixed-after test cases.
I see no documentation.
I see no patch/build/test cycles or evidence of testing.
I see no diff-Naur patch against silver.

I know that when you encounter a bug and make a fix it is painfully
obvious what needs to be done, why you need to do it, how you should
fix it, where to change the source, and how to test the result. The
fix is probably a good fix. But unless you share this information
there is no way to know.

You remember the struggles we had trying to decode Martin's code
without documentation? This change is exactly like that.

So, I'll ask the same question I asked Steve with his i-output fix...

Can you show an example where it breaks before the change
and is fixed after the change?

Tim