Re: [Axiom-developer] typo in the guessing package pamphlet, was: Re: Al

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] typo in the guessing package pamphlet, was: Re: Algebra and literate documentation
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:42:37 -0400

On 08 Aug 2007 01:09:38 +0200, Martin Rubey wrote:
> Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > At ISSAC'07, Tim, Bill, Stephen W., Barry and I (and probably others) tried
> > to get your algebra compile.
>
> Oops.  Well, from a running axiom system, you should compile things for
> example
> in the following order:
>
> SUPEXPR FAMR2 NEWTON UFPS GOPT GUESSF1 UTSSOL FFFG UFPS1 GOPT0 EXPRSOL FFFGF
> RECOP GUESS GUESSINT GUESSP GUESSF
>
> (note that, for example, GUESSINT depends on GUESS, which depends on GOPT0
> which depends on GOPT0 and so on)
>
> It should be sufficient to say in a fresh axiom
>
> )co fffg.spad
> )co ssolve.spad
> )co recop.spad
> )co mantepse.spad
>
> in this order.  Unfortunately, it depends on some algebra fixes that were not
> applied to Gold.  But as far as I remember, these fixes should not affect the
> compilation itself.
>
> Do you recall what went wrong at ISSAC?

This works just as you describe - even with Gold. But the problem
occurred when Tim tried to add the necessary commands to the
algebra/Makefile.pamphlet file to include the GUESS package in the
standard build. This is the same problem that was originally reported
by Alfredo Portes about this time last year.

During the build there are unexpected errors during the compile of
some modules, even when they are compiled in the required order. Tim
demonstrated to me that if he stopped the build at that point and
started Axiom normally, the )compile command which previously failed
during the build completes succesfully. My conclusion from this was
that during the build the wrong database files must accessed since
that is the only thing that I can think of that might be different
between the build environment and running Axiom from the command line.