Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom meeting at ISSAC

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom meeting at ISSAC
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 08:09:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> C Y <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> | If I understand correctly the terms of
> | this license, any commercial activity around the code base can be
> | undertaken ONLY by those with the exclusive rights to do so.
>
> We can spend lot of time speculating; I would have thought that
> asking Stephen directly about the real intent and meaning of license
> would be more productive than pure speculation.  So I asked him.
> And he answered. And the answer was reported here.  But, I suspect
> pure speculation has higher value than the real thing.

I beg your pardon - I did not intend to imply discourtesy by seeming to
ignore the previous information.  However, I view the details of the
license text itself as important independent of the intent of the
authors.

Whatever the intent may be, the legal text of the license itself is
what will ultimately govern what can and cannot be done, within the
limits of the law.  That is why I focus on the text of the license
itself - intent lasts only as long as the individuals doing the
intending.

I am sure the Aldor.org and NAG organizations in their current forms
would be very reasonable to work with on almost any application of the
Aldor code.  However, the point is that organizations and licensing
terms outlive individuals and management teams and policy setters.
That is why such care has been given to the wording and text of the
GPLv3, for example - because whatever the intent of the authors the
license text itself ultimately governs.  Relying in the long term on
the good will of individuals or organizations is too dangerous.  It's
about future proofing - what will Aldor.org look like as an
organization in 50 years? 100?  Could their resources and copyrights be
bought by someone else?  How can this license be abused if the
copyrights fall under control of someone inclined to abuse it?

Anyway, it's a fairly moot point.  As you state, both the license text
and clear intent statements are available.  Each of us will make
his/her own decisions in light of that information.

Cheers,
CY

photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC