Re: [Axiom-developer] literate programming and Claerbout's Insight

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] literate programming and Claerbout's Insight
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:30:11 +1000

It may be that the negative views of Axiom are simply due to Axiom
being very poorly (read "not at all") marketed - there are no
elementary books about the use of Axiom, and if you go to the Axiom
website, it is hard to find introductory beginner's or tutorial
articles.  Contrast this last with Maxima - at the Maxima website
there are quite a few links to tutorials, which makes Maxima seem in
the realm of usability by beginners or casual users.

Another problem - which I see as major - is that there is no native
windows version with documentation (HyperDoc) and graphics.  This is
not a problem for me personally (I use linux) but I believe it is a
problem in having Axiom more widely used.  Again, compare this with
Maxima, where under windows there is the pleasant wxMaxima interface.

I am testing out Axiom this semester with a cryptography class; in
fact I am preparing lab sheets using both Axiom and Maxima,  and I'm
letting the students decide which they'd like to use.  The idea is
that the students can download the software to use at home, which is
not the case with Maple, for which my Department has a limited
license.

I have indicated my willingness to write a few expository articles
about Maxima and Axiom for the Australian Mathematical Society; when I
have them done I'll let y'all know.  I would welcome any suggestions
about nice topics to include.

Now - back to cooking dinner!

cheers,
Alasdair