Re: [Axiom-developer] MonoidWithZero

From: Franz Lehner
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] MonoidWithZero
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:12:02 +0200 (CEST)

What you wrote appears to be correct (I have not tried to compile it
yet). You have modified 'mring.spad.pamphlet' to define the new
category, so you need to ensure that when you re-build Axiom it finds
this new code. How this works depends on what version of the Axiom
sources you are using.
I still use wh-sandbox although this will be obsolete at some point as I understand.

So to keep it as simple as possible, I would recommend that after
making this change, you do a complete re-build of Axiom.
This is what I was trying to do.
MRING.spad is generated in the weave step but the MRCategory chunk does not make it there for some reason. It appears however in src/algebra/extract-spad.mk
Grepping around I saw that e.g. AbelianMonoidRing
also appears in various other places of the source,

src/doc/bookvol1.pamphlet
src/doc/topics.data
src/doc/book.pamphlet
src/share/algebra/compress.daase
src/share/algebra/libaxiom.al
src/share/algebra/command.list
src/interp/daase.lisp.pamphlet

to name a few which may be relevant.
Do I have to insert the new category into these databases per hand to
make it visible?

I tried recompiling modules with )compile with other patches earlier but this somehow confuses the precedence in the interpreter. For example, taking inverses in Matrix Integer called the inverse function from FreeGroup Matrix Integer ... Anyways I do want to have it in the library, because I compile my Aldor domains externally with a Makefile.

When using
build improvements the simplest way to do this is to modify the local
working copy of the repository and then do a new out-of-source build.
that's what I did with the results noted above.

Of course instead of modifying the original source, for testing at
least, you could just re-compile these modules using ')compile' in the
Axiom interpreter.
yes, manual notangle + )compile works.

regards
Franz