Re: [Axiom-developer] MonoidWithZero

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] MonoidWithZero
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:38:16 -0400

On 7/22/07, Franz Lehner wrote:
Bill Page wrote:
> I think the short answer is "no". But if you do re-write it, I can see
> no reason why this should not be written as a normal category
> definition and used in MonoidRing instead of the local macro
> definition.

well I tried. Are there instructions for the clueless like me?
Simply modifying mring.spad.pamphlet apparently is not enough
(see attached diff).
The category definition is not exported into
MRING.spad. Is there some index where it has to appear also in order
to be compiled?

What you wrote appears to be correct (I have not tried to compile it
yet). You have modified 'mring.spad.pamphlet' to define the new
category, so you need to ensure that when you re-build Axiom it finds
this new code. How this works depends on what version of the Axiom
sources you are using. All versions scan the algebra pamphlet files
looking for chunk names like:

 <<category MRCAT MonoidRingCategory>>=

and then extract these names to create rules used during 'make' but
when this happens is different between the different versions. For
example in build-improvements this is done during the ./configure
step.

So to keep it as simple as possible, I would recommend that after
making this change, you do a complete re-build of Axiom. When using
build improvements the simplest way to do this is to modify the local
working copy of the repository and then do a new out-of-source build.

Of course instead of modifying the original source, for testing at
least, you could just re-compile these modules using ')compile' in the
Axiom interpreter.