Re: [Axiom-developer] Pamphlet files and Axiom

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Pamphlet files and Axiom
Date: 21 Jul 2007 16:34:43 -0400

C Y <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
> > > Erm.  That didn't occur to me.  I always viewed simple non-LaTeX
> > > chunk names as sufficient.
> >
> > For me it is not sufficient.
>
> I guess I can see that.  In a collection chunk, would you then do:
>
> @<collectingterms@>=
>    @<The \texttt{TANGLE} command@>
>    @<The \texttt{WEAVE} command@>
> etc...
> @
>
> That would be very interesting.

Yep, that is currently possible.  I need to figure out the best way to
typeset them.  Currently the references pull in the font in effect in
the verbatim environment.  I need to define the fonts used explicitly
in the latex support header.

> > > In cl-web, they both come out literally as they went in.  Isn't
> > > that desired behavior?
> >
> > latex the file and look at the dvi.
>
> I did.  Maybe I have something set up oddly here.  Oh, well - no
> matter.

Ya, its a small change. I should have chosen a more obvious example.

The exclamation point on its own dissapears. So "Hello World!" gets
typeset as "Hello World".  If you have the `!' characters paired, you
get latex interpreting the contents actively.  So "!\LaTeX!" gets
typeset as the familiar glyph.  This could run havoc on code chunks
containing exclaimation points.

> > > So you want LaTeX typset comments inside the source code chunks?
> >
> > Sure, why not?  Sometimes the explanation of an algorithm falls
> > naturally in that context.  We could number each line in a source
> > code context automatically, but I dont like that approach
> > exclusively.
>
> So, we could (for example) have the latex mode use the tangle line
> information to append each line with its line number per the tangled
> file output?  That would be sweet...

Humm, I never though of that!  I was just thinking about using the
automatic counters which packages like fancyvrb provide.  But humm,
line numbers corresponding to the tangled source sounds interesting.
Will have to think about that a bit more.  Thanks!

> > Its a pain to always say "at line 34 we ....".  Its also a drag to
> > have to ensure that line 34 isnt typeset as line 33 or somesuch.
> > Little creeping errors like that bug me, and I can avoid them
> > completely by placing simple explanations in comments (and I would
> > like to have TeXs math available to make the comments even more
> > concise).
>
> How would such comments be tangled?

You could just output them as you would any other textual item in the
listing -- character for character. They will be hidden by the comment
marker in the language you are programming in.

> > I will do it.  Just because you wont doesnt mean its not possible or
> > desirable.
>
> Of course.  My concern was that the complexity of learning how to write
> pamphlets will be increased by using a tool that is so general,
> resulting in driving away authors.  However, that's probably wrong upon
> reflection - it's not any harder than anything else needed for Axiom.

Right.  But also note that noone needs to know about any other
features -- so long as the tool does not require them to be known in
order to be used.  I think what I have been working on is no more
complex than noweb in order to get the same effect as that tool.

> > We need tools which are accommodating to needs different
> > to our own.
>
> That actually brings up a point - how much of a uniform writing style
> policy do we want to enforce in Axiom?

I am going to start writing right to left.  As long as the policy does
not enforce a rule which says I cant, Ill be OK with that. :)

Take care,
Steve