Re: [Axiom-developer] Pamphlet format discussion

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Pamphlet format discussion
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:26:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> Certainly I don't want to spend my time working on this, but I was
> thinking more of people like Norman Ramsey and other people who
> already use noweb. Why not embrace the concept of co-operating with
> other open source projects instead of re-inventing the wheel?

For myself, it's because I am sufficiently motivated to want to be able
to work only within the Lisp environment that re-implementing the
functionality inside Lisp is worth the effort.  That is highly unlikely
to appeal to authors of other tools.

> Perhaps people would be more interested in working on the Axiom
> project if we use their work rather than redoing it.

We are using their work - we're using noweb now, and it DOES work.
Redoing it doesn't need to interfere with moving forward on other
aspects of the problem.  How has work on Lisp tools hindered any other
efforts?

> > Ideally, once these things are done they will require very little
> > work as long as a working Lisp environment is present, but again
> > it would matter ONLY to the people wanting to use it.  The only
> > point at which it becomes a real issue is if the pamphlets go in
> > a direction that noweb can't follow, and I don't see that
> > happening for a good long while.
>
> That does not seem consistent with what Tim Daly is writing.

Surely noweb is capable of weaving and tangling using different strings
for delimiters?  Other than the delimiter change, these changes don't
have to be an "all or nothing" proposition - just because running LaTeX
on a raw pamphlet will produce a dvi file doesn't mean that the build
logic CAN still run weave if it wishes to, as long as the pamphlet
structure is well defined.

Of course, those are just my thoughts and I'm not an expert on noweb.
Nor do I know all the details of what Tim would like to do, so I can't
say with certainty what the impact would be.

Cheers,
CY

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/