Re: [Axiom-developer] can't compile user-defined functions on axiom

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] can't compile user-defined functions on axiom
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 02:32:31 -0400

On 7/12/07, yalcin oksuz wrote:

I am trying to use axiom in my academic study, but I
can't get it run properly. The problem is when I try
to define a function it gives error, for example

(2) -> f(n|n<=0)==-n

            Type: Void
(3) -> f(3)
   Compiling function f with type PositiveInteger ->
Integer
sh: gcc: command not found

I searched on the net and learn that it could be the
gcc version installed on my computer. I have installed
Debian 4.0 etch  on my computer with gcc 4.0 version.

This error message from Axiom is very unusual *if* you really do have
gcc installed. This is the behaviour one might expect if gcc is not
installed properly or if for some reason gcc is not in the PATH used
in your session.

Before starting Axiom what reply do you get if you type the command:

 $ gcc --version

Can you compile simple test programs written in C?

I am using linux system for only axiom, or to draw
plots in axiom which is not available in windows.

I suppose from this comment that you are not very familiar with using linux?

If
you could recommend another distrubition I can gladly
try that. I have a newer mainboard with jmicron
pata-controller, which is not supported by kernels
older than 2.6.18. I will appreciate any help, thanks
in advance.

Axiom should work fine on this distribution. How did you install
Axiom? What version?

When using Debian the best advice would be to install Axiom using the

 $ apt-get install axiom*

command (or gui equivalent).