Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlets and LaTex

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlets and LaTex
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stephen Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Cliff, *,
>
> Just for the record, I delved into the pamphlet-as-latex thing head
> first and implemented my own noweb-like tool because I wanted to
> enrich my understanding of the issues.

That's always an excellent reason :-).

> The timing was motivated by
> the steadfast insistence by Martin and Ralf that they did not want to
> see the latex change migrate into trunk.  I do not want to see either
> of them leave, as I greatly value their insights and work.  However,
> that is not enough (for me) to say that the latex change should not
> occur.

Correct.  If possible, objective evaluation criteria should be found.

> I eventually came to what I hope is technical, objective, position as
> to why pamphlets-as-latex is not the correct approach.  At the same
> time I am trying to advocate a perspective about what pamphlets _can_
> become which is consistent (I hope) with Tim's vision.

I hope I have understood your arguments, and if I have I agree - the
weave step and typing of chunks is sufficiently advantageous that it is
worth maintaining the separation.

> I sincerely hope that others will chime in and back the approach I am
> advocating, or perhaps something simillar.  I have yet to see what is
> lost by adopting it.

I second that hope - so far it's just been a couple of players.  How
about it, y'all?

(Steve, I do plan to go over your code in more detail, once I get time
- work has been very time consuming the last few days and that has
slowed me down :-(. )

Cheers,
CY

photos & more.