[Axiom-developer] Re: votes

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: votes
Date: 18 Jul 2007 09:11:52 +0200

Ondrej has already answered for the emotional side.  I try to add a tiny bit on
the rational side:

> Lets try a thought experiment.
> Suppose you propose that Fricas should now be democratic.

I would not suggest that FriCAS should become democratic.  I said I would in
fact like to have democratic and non-democratic branches side by side.

> Suppose you suggest that Waldek's trunk should become a branch.

Yes, that's what I would like to have.  Just as we had wh-sandbox for a long
time.  Note: I did not suggest to make wh-sandbox trunk. (Possibly once when I
was very emotional.  I apologize in case.)

> Suppose you suggest that only approved changes go into Fricas.

wh-sandbox always was non-democratic, and I believe it works well that way.
However, moving changes from wh-sandbox into trunk should happen in a
democratic way.

address@hidden writes:

> Please explain why you think Axiom should be a democratic model.

Because at least three developers are fed up with the current model.  And
because I think that accomodating many different beliefs and many
uncertainities are best handled by an open, democratic model, that allows or
even encourages subcultures.

> Please explain why you feel, as a self-declared algebra developer, you have a
> need to vote on machinery (gclweb.lisp) below the algebra which enables
> function you will never use.

Because it happens to break my setup, and I feel that my setup is OK and that
LaTeX style chunk delimiters are unwise.  Since it is difficult to argue about
that on a technical level, democracy (that allows and encourages subcultures !)
may be an alternative.

Same thing goes for other decisions, for example lispifying parts of the Boot
code.  I did not protest then because I did not realize that we could have
both: an experimental branch without Boot, trunk with Boot.  And I do think
that this experimental Branch may be a *very* good thing.

I'll leave until August 9 today evening, and will not have access to mail.

All the best,

Martin