[Axiom-developer] Pamphlets and Latex

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Pamphlets and Latex
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:45:27 -0500

> I believe you already have a good idea of the concepts involved here.
> Your trying to do the same thing but using LaTeX syntax. That would
> be fine with me if it were not for the fat that it is not,
> conceptually, pure LaTeX.

Eh? Please explain what you could possibly mean. If I run latex on
a file and it generates a dvi file it cannot be anything but pure
latex. I'm unable to understand what that statement could mean.

> The distinct advantage here is that we are using a syntax which is
> special to a pamphlet.

<<name>>= <==> \begin{chunk}{name}
@         <==> \end{chunk}
<<name>>  <==> \chunk{name}

This is a bijection. It is entirely unambiguous. If it were not
against my religion I could write a sed script to make the change.
Pure syntax. Period.

> We need a weave stage and we need an
> unambiguous notation which we can accurately parse and transform.

We do not need a weave step except where we plan to do things like
create hyperdoc pages from the latex file. Ordinary documentation,
like the published bookvol1 is pure, unwoven latex.

> Using latex syntax is ambiguous. Thats the main advantage, but a big
> one with real technical advantages

Please explain why you think latex syntax is ambiguous.

Tim