[Axiom-developer] Re: [NOT :-)] Time to say good bye to Tim.

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [NOT :-)] Time to say good bye to Tim.
Date: 16 Jul 2007 08:45:11 +0200

Sorry, I forgot to mention two things, lest somebody follows your
argumentation:

> If Waldek, Gaby and Bill leave entirely, what would happen? First they need
> to re-establish the entire data-base for the website and create a new one.

No. Ralf has already agreed to me that it would be possible to decouple the
MathAction page hosted by RISC from the one hosted at axiom-developer.  Since
the contents is to a large extend content that I and Bill contributed, it is in
my opinion even questionable whether Tim would have any moral rights to use it.
(In fact, he doesn't use it.  I don't see any edits signed Tim Daly.)

> You and Ralf (and Waldek) have painted yourselves into a corner. Unlike
> Waldek, you and Ralf probably have not yet gained the skills (nor would be
> interested in gaining them as far as I can guess) to maintain the internals
> of Axiom.  Thus, like me, you will be dependent on people like Waldek,

I have no problem being dependent on Gaby or Waldek.  I would find it slightly
irritating to depend on only one of them, but two is OK.

And, by the way, who is going to provide algebra fixes?  Yes, axiom cannot live
without compiler, interpreter etc.  But the same is true for the algebra.  And
as far as I remember, there have been exactly two people who provided more than
one fix for the algebra so far: Waldek and myself.

But really, most important is that

> He [Tim] is, however, to be admired for his stubbornness to hold onto his
> principles.

is just completely misleading.  He puts up principles for others, but himself
commits happily undocumented and broken code.

Martin