Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:34:34 +0200

On 07/10/2007 04:22 AM, Bill Page wrote:
On 7/9/07, C Y wrote:
... Literate programming is not a mainstream methodology (in my opinion)
because few developers are willing to accept the long lead times and hard
work of researching the necessary background to make a good literate
document. ...

Literate programming is not mainstream since it costs a lot of time and the programmer puts all or at least most of his knowledge about the program, background, and design into a pamphlet. He basically teaches future programmers and lowers the hurdle for them to understand the program. *He makes himself more easily replacable by others.* Would you do LP if you work in industry?

The only reasonable way I see is: don't show the sources. But then you lose the ideal of LP that you want to teach...

Ralf