Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: debugging

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: debugging
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 00:35:56 +0200 (CEST)

> Greetings, and thanks!
>
> Please be advised that nth at safety 0 will still segfault if you try
> to cdr past the dot.
>
> I'd like to take a look at the below, but I'm not sure my tree is in
> sync with yours.  Have you committed everything?  If so, how to I
> update with svn?  Anything else I need to reproduce the error below?

I am working still with revision 636, the same tree where I applied
several patches:

1) change to axiom-probe-file
2) spaderror patch
3) in several places I set si::*disable-recompile* to t
4) in NRTassocIndex elt is changed to nth
5) I skip initializing memory parameters

I did not commit those changes because most of patches is ATM
not aproproate in public version: 2 and 3 is 2.7.0 specific
4 will need more analysis/testing, 5 increased safe build time
from 8 hours to 12 hours (measured using 2.6.8 on 1.86 Intel
Core Duo) -- again I feel that effect of parameters needs
more analysis/testing.

The segfault is in safety 1 code -- given your description
I expect that nth may still segfault at safety 1 if the dotted
list is too short.

I suspect that segfault may be non-reproducible: I got segfault
earlier and after restarting make the build went further.

I am somewhat reluctant to redo the step with segfault, as it
took 3 hours to go trough that stage and it seems that I will
be unable to debug the segfault even if I reproduce it

I am now checking if the second problem (miscompilation) is
reproducible.

Attached you will find diff between build tree and revision 636.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden