[Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 00:00:52 +1000

So I go away for an internet-free weekend, and what do I find when I come back?  A fork of Axiom with its own name, and people on the mailgroup baring their teeth at each other in a most unseemly manner.  So, so, fork away... but what I want to know is - where does this leave me, a common-or-garden user?  Learning a CAS - any CAS - really well, is a non-trivial task, and after spending much of the last month or so finding my way around Axiom, this forking business has me feeling very uncertain as to where - or whether - I should put any more time into these projects.  I have come to like Axiom very much indeed, but if it and its users are going to split into acrimonious groups, I shall feel very unsure of where my loyalties lie.  Maybe I should go back to Maxima...

I'm very nervy about all this.

-Alasdair