[Axiom-developer] Re: Literate programming and Provisos

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Literate programming and Provisos
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 15:12:51 +0200

> The discussion of provisos has ALWAYS been an algebraic discussion
> and always related to spad-level programming. I'd like to have a
> proviso domain (or extend the SUCHTHAT domain) so we could form a
> continuation/future/closure over all or a portion of a computation
> and later evaluate it. I don't believe I mentioned lisp in that
> discussion anywhere. Perhaps I should have changed the Subject line.
> Clearly such a control mechanism would have to be supported by an
> underlying Lisp mechanism but that, as you say, is an implementation
> detail.

OK, then we are on the same side. If you add any nice language construct to SPAD then fine.

> I'm not sure how Generators is related to provisos.

You mentioned Streams. I happen to have programmed Streams in Aldor-Combinat.
http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/hemmecke/AldorCombinat/combinatse12.html#x58-9900012
As you can see, a stream for me is an Array plus a Generator. So that was my connection.

I am not so sure that I understand what a "continuation" is. I've already read some text about that, but I seem not to get the difference to Aldor's Generator concept. Maybe somebody can help. How would a continuation in Aldor look like and how would that be different from the Generator domain?

Thank you for the other references about literate programs.

Ralf