Re: [Axiom-developer] FriCAS started

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] FriCAS started
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:48:24 -0400

On 7/6/07, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
FriCAS is now started -- you can see the SVN repository at:

http://fricas.svn.sourceforge.net/

To check out a copy do:

svn co https://fricas.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fricas/trunk fricas

Thank you for taking this bold step. I am very much in favor of the
action you are taking even though I know that it might make some
people worried about the future of the Axiom project. To me this seems
like a very positive development and I am greatly encouraged that you
decided to proceed with the plans you announced last week.

Personally I plan to remain active in *both* the original Axiom
project and also to help where and when I can with FriCAS. (Still
think that is a terrible name. :-)

The current revision, that is revision 11 corrected most of the
breakage.  In particular algebra should now bootstrap from
empty databases.  To make graphic examples in HyperDoc one
has to invoke extra command in X windows (the rest of the build
works fine in text mode).  I know of some uncorrected breakage on
HyperDoc pages (due to Nag routines), and of course more breakage
can show up.

How shall we report errors? Do you want to set up a different
reporting system (e.g. via SourceForge) or should FriCAS be simply
recognized in the Axiom project as a separate "parallel" version? If
the consensus is in favor of the latter, I can make appropriate
adjustments to the IssueTracker on Axiom Wiki to support this.

FriCAS prints a different banner:

but otherwise identifies itself as Axiom.  Let me know more distinction.
Also, ATM I am not setting up a separate mailnig list -- let me know
if you do not want FriCAS traffic on Axiom maining list.

My personal opinion is that FriCAS can and should be accomodated
within the current Axiom project infrastructure.