Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom and ANSI Lisp -- SBCL

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom and ANSI Lisp -- SBCL
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 20:56:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Waldek Hebisch wrote:

| > Waldek --
| >
| >   In a local tree, I've added a warpper to compile-file so that
| > it aborst build when the tertiary return value of compile-file (failure-p)
is
| > true.  I consider that a minimum trust for sane build of Axiom -- which
means
| > neither silver nor build-improvements is sane with respect to that
| > notion.  When I do that I see lots of failures.  Did you try that?
| >

| No, I did not try this.

OK, thanks!

| By my reading of Ansi spec is that 'failure-p'
| is true if there is any warning during compile.  Currently we get a lot
| of warnings.

No, only warnings other than style-warning.  And Using SBCL, I've found
it very useful to stop when failure-p is true.  There was no single
occasion where I got a false positive.  Many times, it indicated
a sloppy logic in the program formulation, an dit helped me to build
something digestible by ECL -- ECL, unfortunatel will generate garbage.

|  ATM it would be more useful to stop on errors.

On error, the primary value is nil.  However, it is also very useful
to stop on failure-p.