Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom at version 3.4?

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom at version 3.4?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:23:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> wrote:

> No, quarterly gold releases in 2005 was numbered 3.4 (April 2005),
> 3.6 (June 2005), 3.9 (October 2005). In 2006 this numbering
> scheme was abolished.

Hmm.  Tim, does 3.9 correspond to the last update of the arch archive,
or was there some subsequent work?  My first tarball upload should be
the last Gold release, whatever that was.

> I watch this Axiom Version discussion with moderate interest.
> Moderate since I already (twice AFAIR) suggested on this list
> to choose some release numbering scheme convenient for
> packaging (deb, rpm whatever) but found no understanding.

I (think) I understand.  Once we have taken care of the banner
information and naming scheme for development versions I hope some form
of my Gold numbering proposal will be put in place.

> Surely, packaging is a nuisance external to Axiom but
> it is not wise to ignore this aspect of real life.

Agreed.

> Once again I venture to suggest two things
>
> 1. Please, make regular _tarball_ releases.
>     No CVS, SVN etc - these are for development not for releases.

Right.  But most of the current work IS development work at the moment
- the feeding from development back to stable is kind of busted at the
moment.  Tim was kind enough to give me access to the sourceforge
project site, so I will be able to volunteer some effort to make the
tarball part happen.  That of course relies on getting the feeding of
improvements back into stable working, but I think we are about to seem
some real progress there.  (Tim's patch to fix file name issues on
various platforms, followed by Gaby's autoconf will go a LONG way to
making things more tolerable - after that come ANSI and working
HyperDoc.)

> 2. Choose some X.Y.Z... numbering scheme
>     for these releases.

Martin, once we get the development version stuff worked out, did you
have any objections to the Gold numbering proposal?

Tim, since you are after all the keeper of Gold (and the flame,
religion, etc ;-) does my proposal for distribution-friendly numbering
for the Gold releases make sense?

> Absence of 1 and 2 hurts Axiom publicity.

I tend to agree - publicity needs sound bites.

Cheers,
CY

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.