[Axiom-developer] Dependencies

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Dependencies
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:22:28 +0200 (CEST)

I promised to write about dependecies in build machinery.  First
I would like classify changes to build process:
1) adding autoconf part (configure.ac.pamphlet + config subdirectory)
2) changes to Makefiles
3) new directory layout
4) improvements to tools (notably document script and bootsys)
5) fixes and adjustments to sources so they work with new buuild
   process

Now dependencies:

Autoconf part modifies Makefiles, but reasonable effort we can
disable modification of Makefiles, so it can go into trunk
doing little good but no harm.

Makefiles assume new directory layout.  Makefiles depend on
enhanced document and bootsys (more precisely, interp Makefile
need fixes to bootsys).  New interp Makefile uses bootsys to
translate several files which previously was translated using
depsys.  This requires many changes to interp files and also
some bootsys fixes.

bootsys sources were reorganized, filenames had changed, so
current bootsys requires new Makefiles.

new directory layout forced updates to pathnames embedded in
sources, this affect interpreter, hypertex program and
hyperdoc pages.

I may have missed some, but the above are main dependencies
in build-improvements.

In wh-sandbox there are extra dependencies:

algebra bootstrap requires some interpreter changes. There is
one simple change that I could list just now, but I am affraid
that I had also to correct some problems with uninitialized
variables.

For ANSI compatibility (and easier support for multiple implementations)
in first stage wh-sandbox build "standarized" Lisp image.  This Lisp
image presents uniform interface to a number of system dependent
routines.  So, in current wh-sandbox interp build depends on this
changed Lisp image.

Finally, in wh-sandbox .pht pages are generated.  This depends on
fixes to hypertex program, interpeter and libspad.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden