Re: [Axiom-developer] mnt binary storage

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] mnt binary storage
Date: 25 Jun 2007 20:10:18 -0400

C Y <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
> It would be nice to bootstrap Boot without having to dump a core - I'll
> have to play around a little and see what the hurdles are.  Without
> that, asdf can't build the entire Axiom from scratch in one shot as far
> as I can tell - dumping core files ends a session.  Hmm.

I was not aware that your goal was to actually build all of axiom
using asdf alone.  I thought the target was to get asdf handling
pamphlets?  Forgive me if I misunderstood.

Dumping the images as is currently done yields the benefit that we
dont carry unneeded code into the final image.  This is, I feel,
important.

Driving the process using make is, IMHO, still preferred.  Make could
call out to an ASDF aware lisp at various stages to compile, load, and
save the system when appropriate.

Cheers,
Steve