[Axiom-developer] HyperDoc macros

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] HyperDoc macros
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 18:40:28 -0500 (CDT)

Bill --

   When replying, please CC: me using my address at TAMU as I cannot
currently access my usual dev machine which has all Axiom mails.

   If you build Axiom.build-improvements prior to version 632, you
notice that when compiling the algebra files, AXIOMsys will spit out
noise saying "Unexpected HT command" on all files that
are properly documented.  That is because AXIOMsys cannot find
the HyperDoc macro table -- the path to the macro table is wrong, and that
is a long standing fallout from my initial build-improvement work; I meant
to fix it but never get around to do it.

   Now, what is the relation with Windows?  Well, currently Axiom (both
Gold, Silver, and all branches I tested a few days ago) will
build the hyperdoc component only if X11 is available.  If that component
is not built, then we will not set up the macro table path correctly.
And we will see the noise mentioned above.

   As it turns out, only a fraction of the HyperDoc component really needs
X11 (mainly the terrible graphic interface).  Other parts (e.g. htadd) of
HyperDoc will do just fine.  So my patch to Axiom.build-improvemnt
builds those parts that really do not need X11.  And we set up the path
to macro table correctly.

   My long term viewd would be to reogranize the Axiom structure in logical,
indpendent units, but I've given up on having long term views for
Axiom, so you should not waste much time on this.