[Axiom-developer] exact quotient

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] exact quotient
Date: 19 Jun 2007 14:58:39 +0200

I am currently trying to correct a performance bug of my guessing package, and
found out that exquo is in general not extremely intelligent.

In axiom, what exquo really does is to perform division and return "failed" if
it's not exact.  (I.e., it is in fact slower than quo.quotient)

What I need is a fast algorithm, that simply assumes that the division is
exact, and should benefit from that assumption.  (If the assumption is not
true, the computer may crash, if necessary...) As far as I know, using some
tricks performance even better than n^2 (n being the size of the input) is
achievable.

Most important would be such an implementation for the polynomial rings.

Anybody interested?

Martin