Re: [Axiom-developer] Two hyperdoc questions

From: Alfredo Portes
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Two hyperdoc questions
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:46:24 -0700

Virtual Machine:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/DoyenCD (Axiom Gold)

On 6/18/07, Alasdair McAndrew <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks Martin, as always, for your unstinting and generous help.  What then,
in your estimation, are the minimal requirements (virtual machine, X server,
whatever) to run a complete Axiom - including graphics and HyperDoc - on
windows?

Thanks,
Alasdair

On 18 Jun 2007 08:24:33 +0200, Martin Rubey <address@hidden>
wrote:
> "Alasdair McAndrew" <address@hidden > writes:
>
> > 1) What is the current state of using HyperDoc (or any other sort of
help
> > browser) under windows - in particular with Axiom-0.1.4?
>
> * Out of the box there is nothing.
>
> * There is an experimental port by Tim Daly, with the important drawback
that
>   there is no connection to Axiom, i.e., browse does *not* work
>
> * There is the possibility of running axiom within a virtual machine, as
>   proposed by Bill Page and Alfredo Portes.  I'd recommend that one.  This
is
>   also the only way to get graphics on windows.  Furthermore, if you are
>   interested in combinatorics, Polymake and therefore my Polymake-wrapper
only
>   works on linux, too.  Together with axiom.el and SPADEDIT for gnu emacs
this
>   makes quite a usable environment even for windows users.  (After
clicking on
>   gnu emacs, they just need to press "Alt" then "x", type "axiom" and
>   everything should work.
>
> * There is the possibly half working hyperdoc replacement by myself, which
>   needs an axiom process dedicated for documentation -- but which you can
run
>   in the background, so you won't even notice.  So far it only can browse
>   operations, and it's not really tested on windows.  Even if it is not
that
>   much interesting for production work at the moment, I'd urge you to try
it
>   and send me your experiences.
>
> > 2) If I inadvertently quit HyperDoc while running Axiom, I can restart
it
> > with )hd.  But )hd doesn't provide a socket connection; this new
HyperDoc is