Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: testing hyperdoc package on Windows

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: testing hyperdoc package on Windows
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:27:01 -0400

On 6/18/07, Gregory Vanuxem wrote:

No, I only tested the lisp socket code, Martin wanted to know if the
socket code was usable on Windows. This is the piece of code
I tested (parts of Martin's code):

(defun mysocket (port docfun)
  (let ((s (si::socket port :server #'server)))
    (tagbody l
             (when (si::listen s)
               (let ((w (si::accept s)))
                 (server w)))
             (sleep 0.1)
             (go l))))

(defun server (s)
  (let* ((get (read s nil 'eof))
         (fn (and (eq get 'get)
                  (let* ((s1 (subseq (string (read s nil 'eof)) 1))
                         (n (length s1))
                         (s2 (make-string n)))
                    (do ((i 0 (incf i))
                         (j 0 (incf j)))
                        ((= i n) (subseq s2 0 j))
                      (if (char= (char s1 i) #\%)
                          (setf (char s2 j)
                                (code-char (read-from-string
                                            (concat "#x"
                                                    (subseq s1 (incf i)
                                                            (1+ (incf i)))))))
                        (setf (char s2 j) (char s1 i))))))))

    (format t "Got ~S~%~%" fn) ; server side
    (format s "hello~%") ; client side
    (close s)))

Oh, ok. In fact the first version of this code was actually developed
using Axiom on Windows, so I am glad that it still works. :-)

Using telnet I was able to connect to the server ask a page and
receive the "hello". The rest of the job to support Windows should
be straightforward (if not already done). In fact the first thing to do is
to have a version of Axiom with correct databases that build on
Windows. This require some other tests, hmm... apparently this is
what you're doing Bill :-). I think that build-improvements produces
correct databases too but it has the probe-file problem (probe-file
no longer works on directory).

I think wh-sandbox has the most complete and consistent system of
building the axiom databases. Revison 526 (and perhaps some more
recent but not more recent than revision than 570) build on Windows.
Some windows incompatible changes were made to wh-sandbox at 571 and
perhaps later. Revisioni 526 includes patches so that the Windows
version can run natively outside of the MSYS environment, but Martin's
spad code that is part of his mini-hyperdoc browser apparently still
requires that some version of 'grep' be present in the PATH.

I will continue with trying Martin's code with the most recent version
wh-sandbox that compiles on Windows. If you have some time to try
this with build-improvements that would
be great.