Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom under Windows

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom under Windows
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:52:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Bill Page wrote:

| On 6/13/07, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Bill Page wrote:
| >
| > | Get real Gaby!
| >
| > There is nothing unreal in what I stated.
| > Please contribute working codes if you believe you have
| > time to argue for its support.
|
| ??? The current versions of GCL and Axiom on Windows already
| supports this.

If you have a version of Axiom that works fine with that, great!
I just know that on mingw/msys, I do have troubles with filnames with
embedded spaces.  Mingw/msys FAQ says I should use different naming scheme.

[...]

| > | Really, on Windows it is impossible to avoid dealing with paths that
| > | contain spaces since the standard locations for files are things like
| > | "Documents and Settings", "Program Files" and "My Documents".
| >
| > You can put your files in different place.  GHC installs in c:/GHC.
| >

| Why? That is like telling a Windows user that they should not store
| files in their HOME directory.

Proof by analogy is fraud.

"My Document" isn't anolog to HOME.

And personally, I never found "My Documents" descriptive enough to
put anything there.  But, again, I'll not stand in the way of people with
resources to solve that problem if they believe it is the most important thing
they need.  It isn't for me.  And if given a choice I would prefer to have
Waldek's fixes than wasting his resources to solve a non-problem.

I guess, I'm the only one to care about "priority given limited resources",
"good enough" and "incremental improvements".  This is my last word on the
subject.