Re: Market share, was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Hyperdoc

From: Vladimir Bondarenko
Subject: Re: Market share, was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Hyperdoc
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:23:57 +0000

Hello *,

address@hidden writes:

Ralf, Bill,

> Use the tools at hand and build something that can actually compete with
> current CAS (plural). We fight with the future and haven't even reached the
> present.

This isn't a competition, at least in my mind.

You are quite wrong here, I think.  Worldwide there are maybe 1000
Mathematicians interested in writing code, I suspect less. There are currently
at least four competitors in the market of general purpose case, not counting
SAGE.

MuPAD is so similar to Axiom, that, once it is more commonly adopted, we have
*no* chance of getting any new contributors.

You can relax.

MuPAD 4 has acquired challenging development problems.

So the time when "it is more commonly adopted" can set in never...

In most countries, the cost of licensing MuPAD is negligible in comparison with the cost of salaries.

We need (good) contributors now.  I'm working quite hard on that.  But I tell
you, if we are still less than 20 contributors end of next year, I'll probably
stop with Axiom.

This would be sad to the extreme.

On the other hand, I am almost sure that there could be possible
(not easy though) to locate some funds to continue AXIOM development.

(I mean private investors rather than organizations... but I am not
sure about if this a way AXIOM developers could consider...)

Long live AXIOM developers!
Long live AXIOM!

Vladimir Bondarenko

VM and GEMM architect Co-founder, CEO, Mathematical Director

http://www.cybertester.com/ Cyber Tester, LLC http://maple.bug-list.org/ Maple Bugs Encyclopaedia http://www.CAS-testing.org/ CAS Testing

(I think we are currently about 10, but I didn't count.)

Martin