Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [#358 Variable is apparently always assumed to

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [#358 Variable is apparently always assumed to be positive?]Functions and Segments
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:01:53 -0400

On 6/11/07, William Sit wrote:
Bill Page wrote:

> Thanks for adding your comments to the wiki. I have
> re-arranged this a little by separating the comments about
> segment from those about functions so that now your
> comments about segments appears here:
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxFloatSegment

I wonder why you did not move it to a separate IssueTracker?
It is bug in the implementation of 'expand' (incompatibility
with 'BY').

If you mean the interpretation of BY in terms of "counting" that is
implied by the description then I think that would be incompatible
with the intention of the original question, but of course it is plausible
and I agree that it is inconsistent with the implementation of expand.
Please feel free to submit such an issue report if you like. Giving a
new meaning to BY as I did in my modified Segment would then
be one possible resolution of this issue (which also happens to
satisfy the original question.)

I made some comments on your construction, see
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxFloatSegment

Thanks!

> Can you imagine an actual application where it is interesting
> to define a segment over something that is not a Ring?

I gave a simple example of MWF as a segment of M..S by 2.

But  ZMOD 7 has Ring, so what you wrote can be cast in this
form naturually. :-) We can define this segment but we cannot
expand it as a list since it does not have OrderedRing. But
since it does have Finite, we could resort to a simple test for
equality in such cases so I agree the OrderedRing is probably
too strong a requirement.

In general, one can define a segment in any chain (linearly
ordered set) ..

Yes, I agree. Thanks for the explanation. So in this case we must
have

 Segment(S:OrderedSet)

In which case a Segment would have to be something represented
by Record(low:S and high:S) only, no 'incr' since there may not be
any 1 or 'nextItem' in S. For example it does not make any sense
to define Segment Float by only considering every other point.

The 'BY' construction  (expansion by adding) may not be that
meaningful in this context (the meaning of "add" is usually
missing), although it certainly make sense to do expansion
by counting.

I am not sure. I think that in Axiomatic terms it might be necessary
that the domain also be a member of the category STEP, i.e. where
'nextItem' is defined but I do not see any apriori reason why 'nextItem'
need respect some fixed total ordering.

That is why there should be two 'BY' constructs. Unfortunately,
putting them in the same package would cause confusion when
the parameter of SEGMENT is Integer.

I am more inclined to think that the original definition given to BY
was just a little ill conceived.