[Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl, shared libraries

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl, shared libraries
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 07:50:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> Quoting Camm Maguire:
> > I see no such function in the standard, but am cc'ing Paul Dietz.
> >
> > I therefore would suggest (system (format nil "rm -rf ~s" x))
>
> I am really surprised that Lispers do not find this sort of
> suggestion really revolting!

I do (well, frustrating anyway).  But apparently it's harder than it
seems to deal with across all possible cases.  Cross platform issues
can really be a royal pain in the neck, regardless of language - the
CONCEPTS seem to be different in some cases.  Sigh.

> Surely the point of an operating
> system is to provide such services to programs at low level
> without resorting to command line interpretation to pass
> parameters and access such functions.
>
> .. there's got to, there's got to be a better way ...

I would tend to agree, but looking at comp.lang.lisp suggests that
handling directories over all possible situations is not as simple as
it seems - if you take into account a wide variety of file system
concepts, at least.

CY

 a little couch potato?