[Axiom-developer] Re: lisp portability

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: lisp portability
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 14:01:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 May 2007, address@hidden wrote:

| I authored a fair amount of the axiom common lisp code and I tend to
| use a very small subset of the lisp language so most of the code
| should move from CLtL1 to ANSI trivially.

Again, you are missing the point.  The issue isn't that conversion to ANSI
Lisp is hard per see.  The point is that to make the whole useful -- as
opposed to sticking with on Lisp implementation and deeply depend on all its
extensions and implementation defined aspects -- the common subset of
the various ANSI Lisp is reduced to something essentially trivial that does
not help solve the most interesting problems.  We migh just as well abandon
it.

| I suspect that
| package-defining issues and file-system issues are the likely
| "breakage" points. Most of the likely problem areas already have #+
| and #- conditionals due to past portings.

Some have the conditionals; most don't.