RE: [Axiom-developer] Lisp portability

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Lisp portability
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 08:43:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Bill Page wrote:

| On May 22, 2007 8:54 AM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > Waldek wrote:
| > | <rant>  People frequently wonder why Perl is more popular
| > | than Lisp.
| >
| > Oh, I thought it was Python :-) :-)
| >

| People (ambiguous third parties...) often wonder why Python
| is more popular than Perl ... ;)

:-) [ Gaby a long term JAPH]

| More seriously, this issue of Lisp (non)portability is a
| major problem. I can not believe that there are/were people
| on this email list that touted the portablity of Lisp as
| a reason for downgrading Axiom code to that level!

I've spent a significant amount of time/resources on the Lisp portability
issues in Axiom; I'm glad and sad to see Waldek had similar conclusions.
If you restrict your world sufficiently enough and you don't care about the
structure of the code you're working on, its maintainability, and the general
question of Axiom users, Lisp is not a problem.