Re: [Axiom-developer] changes

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] changes
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 11:56:22 +0200

6) use \providecmd to prevent conflicting cmd names
     latex will not allow duplicate definitions of commands unless
     you use \providecmd. In order to keep axiom.sty from conflicting
     with other packages it was rewritten to use \providecmd.
   src/doc/axiom.sty.pamphlet
   src/scripts/tex/axiom.sty
   src/doc/bookvol1.pamphlet
   src/algebra/clifford.pamphlet

You probably mean \providecommand.

http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/latex2e-html/ltx-18.html

But I wonder about the following things:

1. Why is src/scripts/tex/axiom.sty under revision control? Wouln't
src/doc/axiom.sty.pamphlet be enough?

2. src/doc/bookvol1.pamphlet: Given the meaning of \providecommand (and even without it), why would there be need to define commands in bookvol1 if there is axiom.sty?

3. src/algebra/clifford.pamphlet or any other algebra file: I would be happy if *no* pamphlet had to specify additional styles. But for the moment I am quiet.

Ralf