Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Literate documentation

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Literate documentation
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 23:21:12 +0200

I am curious about a small, new lisp editor called Able
http://phil.nullable.eu/ and whether it could be taught to do what we
need for Axiom.  Unfortunately it's GPL which can be tricky in Lisp...

I don't know why you fear GPL all the time.

Suppose somebody combines Axiom with GPL code so that the Axiom license has to become GPL (not a bad idea anyway). What would that change for you? Don't you then have access to the sources anymore, can't you redistribute it. What is the problem? The problem would only be for those people who want to earn money with Axiom. Our goal is to keep Axiom free and openly accessible. I don't see why GPL would contradict that.

I know that mail should not live in axiom-developer, so if somebody feels need to reply just remove the developer mailing list.

Another question is why do you believe that I would consider a LISP IDE if I want to program in Axiom? If you had written Aldor or SPAD++ IDE that would count, but still only half interesting, since we need a LP-aware IDE.

Ralf