Re: [Axiom-developer] Knuth's literate style

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Knuth's literate style
Date: 14 May 2007 20:37:18 -0500

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > How will they obtain appropriate "credit" and peer recognition
| > for this work? What other motivation can we offer them?
|
| That's a point, actually - has anyone published any papers recently
| showcasing work done in/for Axiom?

Jacob Smith, a student of a colleague (Jaakko Järvi), took my class on
symbolic computations last fall. For his class project, he choosed
Algorithmic Differentiation in Axiom.  We were able to implement both
forward and backward modes in Axiom.  As a by product, that led me to
implement a small Axiom library for representing Spad programs (both
interpreted and compiled) as typed abstract syntax tree -- which I'm
now using in my "toy" Spad compiler written in Spad.  That also
pressed me to start (earlier than planned) a formal definition of Spad
(not easy).  The work will be presented at ISSAC'07.