Re: [Axiom-developer] Compiler speed

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Compiler speed
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 02:55:50 +0200 (CEST)

Martin Rubey wrote:
> Unfortunately, I do not have the time to check this now.  Maybe you could
> compile some mini domain or package, quit axiom, delete libdb.text, start
> axiom, )lib MINIDOMAIN, and check whether HyperDoc finds MINIDOMAIN, or,
> hopefully equivalently, libdb.text contains the necessary information.

I have checked this now using a trivial category.  Both before appling a
patch and after:

1) compailing a file updated local libdb.text
2) )lib command _do not_ update libdb.text
3) Even if local libdb.text is absent after issuing )lib command HyperDoc
   finds new constructors.

AFAICS libdb.text is only needed for installed files -- because we
do not install .NRLIB directories.  )lib can find documentation in
index.KAF file, so it does not need local libdb.text.  Given that
I think that we may just skip generating local libdb.text.  More
precisely extendLocalLibdb function looks at $createLocalLibDb
flag.  We can set this flag to nil -- extendLocalLibdb will then
return immediately without doing anything.  Users needing libdb.text
can still set $createLocalLibDb to true get old behaviour.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden