RE: [Axiom-developer] Bootstrap documentation.

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Bootstrap documentation.
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 22:05:39 -0400

On May 7, 2007 8:57 PM Gaby wrote:
> Bill Page writes:
>
> | On May 7, 2007 3:49 PM Martin wrote:
> | > I guess the whole bootstrap problem would go away with
> | > "extend"...  What a pity!
> | >

> | Could you explain why you think the bootstrap problem would
> | go away this extend?
>
> Many of the categories and friends dragged in by Integer do
> not seem to be of necessity at the lowest level.  So, you
> could start with just the simple data structure Integer with
> few operations and extend it as you go.

But for this to be sucessful for the entire Axiom library
wouldn't that require that there be no essential mutual
recursion between source modules? I do not see how extend
helps in this case. Sure it is possible even to have
mutual recursion between extensions, not?

In particular, I do not see how the bootstrap mechanism
described by Waldek (or the original approach implemented
by Tim Daly) would be obivated by extend.