Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Maxima] strange behaviour with simple decimal

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Maxima] strange behaviour with simple decimals / Axiom
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:56:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> What's his point?

Heh - there's a discussion on the Maxima list about expected behavior
of numerical operations - Jay is discussing whether it would make more
sense to work some calculations in base 10, since things like

1.96 - 1.4^2 = 2.2204460492503131E-16

are not intuitive to some audiences - exactly 0 would be the expected
response.  (Personally, I can see his point.)  Axiom came up when the
topic got to comparative behavior of CASs and calculators.  I don't
think there is a criticism of Axiom involved as such, the discussion is
more general than that.

Cheers,
CY

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.