Re: [Axiom-developer] species project

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] species project
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:56:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- Martin Rubey <address@hidden> wrote:

> well, the trouble really is: in what sense do you expect aldor to be
> open source? would you be happy if it was open source but without
> granting the right for redistribution?

Arrgh.  In other words, we still couldn't integrate it into the Axiom
system?

> I expect something of this sort.

While of course it is the right of the copyright holders to do as they
see fit, I'd be curious as to what they would expect to gain from this
move.  As you mention below:

> it would be better to have a free implementation of the Aldor
> language, too, even if it implements only a subset and is, say,
> much slower.

SPAD will probably become that, if it must.  Which would pretty much
leave Aldor where it is now - is there another potential large scale
application for the Aldor language that can't be adequately filled by
O'Caml, Haskell, or one of the other such languages available today?

There are some potentially interesting long term projects that could be
investigated with either SPAD or Aldor in terms of integrating proof
systems with Axiom, and the flexibility to work deeply with the
language implementation and even the language definition itself could
wind up being important.  Either way, something definite on Aldor would
be nice - even if we find out for sure we can't use it at least we
could then devote time to SPAD knowing we wouldn't have the rug yanked
out from under us by an Aldor release (i.e. it would be work we do
actually need to do and couldn't avoid by waiting).

Cheers,
CY

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/