Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Axiom-mail] Two beginner questions

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Axiom-mail] Two beginner questions
Date: 10 Apr 2007 11:21:50 -0500

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| why that happened. Although I do think that Lisp is an important
| programming language, I fear that Axiom's association with Lisp
| is of very little benefit to Axiom. It seems that very of the
| already very few student Lisp programmers are really interested
| in Axiom...

We should all view Lisp as just an *assembly language* for the
Axiom runtime system.  Any argument that elevates Lisp to the level of
Axiom on whatever ground completely misses the whole point.
Lisp, as any other assembly language in a high-level system, should be
rarely be advertised.  It is of interest only to those who want to go
under the cover and dismantle the system -- there are very people of
those.  We may very well just have an Axiom Virtual Machine that does
not require full Lisp power.

Spad and the computational aspect is what we want to advertise.

BTW, it would be great if either you or Alfredo can make a new Windows
binary (from build-improvements or wh-sandbox, whichever builds).